McCoughtry to skip 2017 WNBA season

Atlanta Dream forward Angel McCoughtry penned a letter to her fans via the team website on Wednesday to announce her decision to sit out during the 2017 WNBA season.

Per the Atlanta Dream website:
To My Amazing Fans: 
I love the game of basketball very much. It has given me an incredible new hometown here in Atlanta and provided amazing opportunities on the world stage. Since the beginning of my senior season at the University of Louisville, I have played a continuous year-round schedule with no offseason. It has been an incredible eight years, but this dynamic schedule also takes its toll both mentally and physically. After much careful thought and consideration, I have decided to take time off during the 2017 WNBA season. 
I know this decision will allow me to come back and play to the best of my ability and it is my hope that this decision ultimately will benefit the Atlanta Dream long-term. My heart is always with Atlanta, and my goal is to bring a championship to this city, organization and our great fans. I plan on achieving this goal. I know I can count on your understanding and support. 
Angel
McCoughtry has played for Atlanta since the start of her WNBA career in 2008, just a year after the franchise was founded. As the face of the franchise, McCoughtry led the Dream to three finals appearances. She has career averages of 19.5 PPG, 5 RPG, 3 APG, and 2.2 SPG.

McCoughtry is currently playing in the EuroLeague Women for Dynamo Kursk where she is averaging 16.1 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 3.6 APG, and 1.9 SPG.

It isn't the first time a WNBA player has decided to sit out a season. In 2015, Phoenix Mercury guard Diana Taurasi skipped the WNBA season to focus on her play with Russian club UMMC Ekaterinburg, which she eventually led to a EuroLeague Women title.

Then Chicago Sky center Sylvia Fowles also sat out a part of the 2015 season before she was finally traded to the Minnesota Lynx.

Comments