Penny Taylor to retire after 2016 WNBA season

FIBA.com photo

Phoenix Mercury and Australian Opals guard Penny Taylor, 35, is set to retire after the end of the 2016 WNBA season, according to a report by the Associated Press.


Taylor has had a decorated career in both the WNBA and international play. The 11th overall pick of the Cleveland Rockers back in the 2001 season won three titles with the Mercury (2007, 2009, 2014).

She also helped Australia win two silver medals in the Olympics, and three medals in the FIBA World Championship for Women, including the gold medal in 2006 where she was the tournament MVP.

Taylor told Doug Feinberg of the Associated Press:
"My focus is on the Olympics, but definitely it's my last year. 
Worked really hard to get back and still be good. I want to go out on a good note. My health is something I really had to work hard at, and to be fit and stay out on the floor, I've done that really well. For me, it's the right time."
Taylor has career averages of 13 PPG, 4.4 RPG, and 3.0 APG, while shooting 38.3 percent from three-point area.

Comments