Moore, Taurasi react to Michael Jordan's statement on recent shootings


United States women's national basketball team members Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi reacted to a statement made by basketball legend Michael Jordan on recent killings due to gun violence.

The United States defeated the Select Team, 88-84 on Monday in California.

Taurasi said after the game, via the USA Basketball website:
"I mean we’re in a generation where – I can’t speak for the sixties. But I can speak for my generation of people of my last 15 years from going to college, from being a professional athlete now for 12-13 years. I think what you see now is people with an opinion and they’re not afraid. And for a long time, I think people were afraid to say anything if you wore a jersey of any kind – baseball, basketball, soccer – that maybe you didn’t earn the right to have an opinion. This country is about having an opinion. And I’m proud of the people who have stepped up in our league, in any sport, in any realm, it doesn’t have to be an athlete. It takes a citizen of this country to step up and speak up when something is not right. I think that shows a lot of courage. Looking at it from the outside and now being a part of it, you do feel a sense of pride. The only way things change is by people talking about it and then putting it to action. So I think it’s something that needs to continue. And as much as we need dialogue, we need actual change. The only way to change things is to systematically change things, not just talk about it and politicize it or give a speech about it. And that’s up to the people we elect in this country. I’m sure it’s not easy because that is a tangled web. But our generation is trying to move it forward, and for that, I think a lot of people deserve a lot of credit."
Jordan made the statement via The Undefeated a few days ago. Here is part of his statement:
"As a proud American, a father who lost his own dad in a senseless act of violence, and a black man, I have been deeply troubled by the deaths of African-Americans at the hands of law enforcement and angered by the cowardly and hateful targeting and killing of police officers. I grieve with the families who have lost loved ones, as I know their pain all too well. 
I was raised by parents who taught me to love and respect people regardless of their race or background, so I am saddened and frustrated by the divisive rhetoric and racial tensions that seem to be getting worse as of late. I know this country is better than that, and I can no longer stay silent. We need to find solutions that ensure people of color receive fair and equal treatment AND that police officers – who put their lives on the line every day to protect us all – are respected and supported."
Jordan also pledged two million US dollars, a million each to two organizations, to help in police-community relations.

Jordan's full statement can be read here: Michael Jordan: 'I can no longer stay silent'

Moore, who was one of the Minnesota Lynx players who wore black warm-up shirts to protest the recent killings due to gun violence, said she appreciated Jordan's gesture:
"I can’t speak to how much that means in terms of leading with action. For someone of his caliber does something with their heart like that, as well as with their pocket book, it’s just inspiring to so many people and encouraging to so many people, especially to the communities that will benefit from his financial gift, the communities where that gift will make an impact and provide some of the resources to do some of the things we’re talking about doing like education and coming together. His backing is great. This is a great moment to continue the conversation and I’m happy to see his involvement for sure."
Per Marc J. Spears, United States men's basketball team member Carmelo Anthony also organized a meeting in Los Angeles, discussing important social issues to the youth.

Anthony has been very vocal about the recent killings, even opening the 2016 ESPYS with a powerful statement along with his fellow NBA players LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Paul.

Comments