Swin Cash to retire after 2016 WNBA season

New York Liberty's Swin Cash has announced via The Players' Tribune that she will be retiring after the 2016 WNBA regular season.

"I came into this game unapologetically fearless, as the woman I felt I was called to be. From the way I carried myself on and off the court, to using my voice for the union, to speaking out against discrimination, to fighting for all the kids in my Cash for Kids charity — all of this is bigger than me. It’s bigger than my career," Cash wrote.
"There’s no greater legacy than a legacy of lasting impact.
Basketball gave me the vehicle to inspire and empower. That was my purpose.
 I have 27 regular season games left. I’ll be taking in every moment as I look to the future, whatever it may hold. I understand there’s a new life waiting for me after that last whistle."
Cash has a storied basketball career. After winning two titles in the NCAA for the Connecticut Huskies, Cash was selected first overall in the 2002 WNBA Draft.

Cash has won three WNBA titles -- two with the Detroit Shock and another with the Seattle Storm. She is a two-time gold medalist in the Olympics, a four-time WNBA all-star, and a four-time winner of the Shooting Stars event in the NBA All-Star Weekend.

Sue Bird, Tamika Catchings, Tanisha Wright, and Bill Laimbeer wrote their tributes for Cash on The Players' Tribune.
Cash has career averages of 11 PPG, 5.4 RPG, and 2.4 APG.

Comments